Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Day 1







I have been in quite and experience in the last 24 hrs so far in LA. I have come from the life of semi-rural San Joaquin Valley to experience some of the life of the metropolis of 14 million that makes up LA. I have come with a desire to retain my comfort zone, yet, have already found comfort amidst the grim realities of the city. There are people who know what they are doing when they design space, are doing when they design space, place signs, and conduct their body language. Sights, smells, sounds, etc., have meaning. I have instantly been reminded that the preconceived notions that I brought from Fresno to LA (and from Kansas City to LA) have been placed at odds with this new place. Thus, I attempt to understand this new environment in the language of sights, smells, sounds, boundaries, elevatory position (altatude), etc.

I already have to face the reality that my own privileged status makes it very difficult to see beyond the propaganda that has made me, well, me. To see the city through different eyes requires different lenses. Yet, there are many sets of lenses. Thus, my challenge is to determine which set is significant to its accompanying language.

By the way: Skid row is far too romanticized. This insight is partly due to my own tendency to give in to propoganda that attempts to jerk emotive response. Ministry upon these terms stands an elevated risk of becoming a fulfillment of self-interest. I might get into my personal issues with such over-romanticized form ministry.

No comments: